Offered for sale on behalf of one of our customers, here we have a very special, race/hillclimb/track day prepared classic Mk 1 VW Golf GTI, that has been continually developed and refined over the last 24 years.
SMT 210Y is a 1983, non-sunroof Mk1 Golf GTI in Brilliant Black, that was purchased in July 1996 by Peter Rosenthal, then staff writer at the popular VW Motoring magazine. The car was featured virtually every month in the magazine for almost three years as “Project GTI”, as Peter improved and upgraded all aspects of the car, investing over £10,000 during his ownership to create a track day focussed GTI. There is a box full of old copies of VWM that comes with the car, containing all the Project GTI features.
The next owner Barry Sayers bought SMT 210Y from Peter in January 2002 (it was advertised in the magazine for £4,495 ono), and used it sparingly for track days and hillclimbs over the next 8 years, adding just 3,000 miles in that time.
The current owner Lee Dinham bought the car in October 2010, and has taken the development of the car even further, investing in a custom-built race engine by JMR, further lightening the car to less than 850kg, to create a spectacularly raw and raucous Golf GTI that is deceptively quick even by modern standards, never mind for a car fast approaching 40 years old!
The specification of the car shows significant modification in every department, with the key elements as follows:
- Custom built by JMR, race/hillclimb spec
- 160BHP at wheels (approx.)
- Custom pistons, rods, APR bolts, STD crank
- Ported & polished head matching exhaust
- Twin 45 Weber carbs
- DTA ignition ECU
- Gear box from VW Golf GTI Mk2 16v
- Quaife LSD
- Sachs race spec clutch
- Lightened fly wheel
- JMR gear shifter
- Low temp 70 degree centigrade water thermostat
- Mocal oil cooler
- Ashley 4-1 exhaust manifold
- Ceramic coated custom exhaust
- Gel cell battery in spare wheel well in boot
- Front Audi 90 calipers, Brembo 256 grooved discs
- Ferodo DSC 3000 pads (spare standard pads also included)
- Rear MK4 calipers OE disc and pads.
- Rear brake bias valve
- Weitec adjustable springs
- Poly bushes throughout
- Quaife quick steering rack
- Uprated anti-roll bars
- Cobra Imola 2 bucket seats
- Willans harnesses
- Rollcentre bolt in 6-point rollcage
- VDO guages: oil temp & pressure, water temp, rev counter 10KRPM
- Shift light set to 7600RPM
- Battery kill switch
- Fire extinguisher
- Original door cards
Bodywork and exterior
- Fibreglass wings, bonnet and boot
- Perspex windows except front screen. Additional perspex door windows with sliders included.
- Original steel bonnet and bootlid included with sale.
- Single front wiper
- 2 sets of wheels – 15″ Compomotive and 15″ Team Dynamics 1.2 pro race (both sets in white)
In superb condition throughout, and with an MOT to August 2021, SMT 210Y is now ready for a new enthusiast owner to enjoy on the road, on track days or in competition. The file of invoices runs in to the hundreds (and totals many £000s of expenditure) back to the late 1990’s, there are MOT certificates back to 1997, and two boxes of VW magazines chronicling the car’s development over the years.
This car is advertised on behalf of the owner as a private sale, and not as part of Flat Six Classics stock.
Please call Sean on 07595 455568 for more information or to arrange to come and see this very special classic Mk1 Golf GTI.
- There are no features available